My Family

Friday, February 08, 2008

Embassy OVER!!!

We made it through our Embassy appointment with JUST enough diapers. Though I still got peed on in the car on the way back to the hotel! We were at the Embassy for three hours. Veronica said that there has been such an increase in cases that things are running longer.

Again another surreal experience. We walk up to the Embassy to see a crowd of people hanging out by the wall outside. All of these people I think were either applying for residence or travel/tourist visas to the US. But they had to stand and wait outside. There were several - I would call them miltary personnel and since it was the Embassy I would assume I am right - with their machine guns at their side. We went through security and entered the building. The waiting room was very small and crowded with lots of people. Mostly Americans with small Guatemalan children. We waited while Veronica went and filed the paperwork. After about an hour we were called for our first interview. While we were waiting for our first interview - just moments from going in - I realized he had wet himself clear through his outer pants. We waited not daring to lose our place in line and I went and changed him after the first interview. The interview was held in a closet of a room with glass separating us from the Embassy employee. He was very nice and I think the interview lasted all of 5 seconds.

He drank an entire bottle of juice while we waited for our second interview. That was done at a counter. The Embassy employee asked us to raise our right hand and swear that the information in our documents was true... And we were done! We pick up his visa on Monday and we are out of here on Tuesday morning.

This morning was totally stressful and surreal and happy! It's over. Veronica was great and she was really excited when she found out we were both involved in the arts. Brian has been amazing and I think I am walking around so shell shocked that I am not doing a good job of being personable. But he is chatting away. He has been invited to a wedding and we have phone numbers of two lovely women who live here in the city that he friended on the plane. We are going to try and do some sightseeing this weekend. Veronica strongly encouraged us to go to Antigua and I think we would really miss out if we didn't go. The tours are just you and a guide so you can leave to return to the hotel whenever you are ready.

When we got back he had a wet diaper that had leaked through again and we got him changed. Then he immediately - and I mean immediately - took a crap in the new diaper... But to our relief it was SOLID! Veronica also told us that it was probably just from teething and not to freak out. Which I knew but it was nice to see that diaper!

And on top of everything else Jimmy repeatedly held out his hands for Brian to take him. They are definitely connecting.

Things are looking up! Still cannot wait to get home and I practically burst into tears whenever I think about getting him to our house in his room... But things are definitely going better! Miss you all!

2 Comments:

Blogger MomHawk said...

I am so happy and relieved for the three of you. I believe your ingenuity was just the absolutely greatest idea and Jimmy of course thought so too. Dumps of any kind are normal. It could even have been just from a couple diffrent foods or teething or just a nervous release of the transition. You're doing fantastic. You and Brian are both already considerate great people -- parenting will just come naturally. Love Grandma Hawk

1:29 PM  
Blogger the Thomas team said...

I am in tears of happiness with each entry. I cannot believe this has FINALLY happened! Congrats to your family!!

Love,
Angela

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home