My Family

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

We're Here!!

We made it absolutely fine. We were stressed about going through customs for the first time but realized probably this wasn't the customs to get freaked out about. They collected our forms and didn't even look at our baggage. I guess the problem is getting things out of here not in...

Anyway we were certainly pegged as clueless Americans very quickly. I won't knock the people that were helping us because they defintely work for their tip but they wouldn't leave us alone! Finally the hotel shuttle showed up and we were on our way to the hotel. The hotel is very nice. Right now I am in the baby lounge where they have a very slow computer and tons of toys... This is the room we met our son in!

At 3:30(ish) Veronica (our aid in country), the attorney's wife, Ericka (Jimmy's foster Mom), Daphne (Ericka's daughter) and Jimmy all arrived. It was the most surreal 90 minutes of my life. He was right there. And he seemed very aware that something was up. Ericka was totally in love with him and began crying as soon as she saw us (if not before... I have a feeling it was probably before). We talked and got his schedule and basic information and then just sat for a little bit. Daphne played with Jimmy like a sister and brother would. It was sweet and so very sad. Ericka and Daphne finally said goodbye. We were all crying but Ericka gave me the best hug. She asked for pictures and we will gladly send them.

After they left it took Jimmy about 15 minutes to realize they were gone and weren't coming back. Then our test as new parents began. He cried... no sobbed... for around 3 hours. Uncontrollable. And of course we don't have a freakin clue what to do. Bottom line... I don't think there would have been anything we could have done. We had given him a sucker to distract him from Ericka leaving and he clung to it like a life line. It was all over me, him, the room... my hair. Finally to tortous screams I had to pry it from his hand. We gave him a sponge bath and dressed him in PJs. We brought him down here to the baby lounge and rocked him to sleep. Right now he is out but he went down around 90 minutes before his usual bed time. I think he missed his afternoon nap and the marathon screaming probably didn't help. Hopefully he will sleep through the night because to be perfectly honest I am more exhausted than I have ever been... emotionally and physically.

You tell yourself this is going to be the best day of your life but it is stressful and really quite sad. I know once we get this over with and get home things will relax, but for right now... I just feel terrible. For Jimmy and Ericka. Their pain has certainly overshadowed my happiness.

I talked to Katie for a minute or two and it was good to get some encouragement. I will be talking with her Friday after the Embassy appointment and will try to keep on the blog in between.

Keep your fingers crossed for a wonderful second day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home