My Family

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I am writing a book...

And I am going to title it "Family and Friends Field Guide to Infertility." I think its catchy.

I had intended this blog to be filled with all things positive... And I think it will be for the most part, but tonight caused me to redirect, momentarily anyway.

I know my friends and family love me. I know they care. I know I could call at a moments notice and they would bail me out, or call AAA, or bring me a cup of coffee. But sometimes I am thrown by people's comments!

Top 10 things you should never say to someone who is dealing with infertility (and these will of course be the chapters of the book)...
Variations on a theme with these first two...

#10 It will happen when the time is right.

#9 It will happen when you least expect it.

#8 Just stop trying. That's what worked for us!

#7 If it is meant to be, it will happen!

#6 Just relax.

#5 You're so tense. Just let it happen! (what does this one even mean exactly?)

#4 My friend (Mom, cousin, aunt, next door neighbor, 2nd grade teacher...) knew a woman who was told she couldn't have children and then she ended up having 5! (And why, oh why, does it always have to be 5!)

#3 (This one doesn't come into play until you are trying to actually deal with your infertility...) You don't have to think about that yet! or another variation... You're not there yet!

#2 (Another comment for when you are dealing with the situation) You're so negative!

And my all time favorite, which is of course said in a condescending manner or maybe even to "win" an argument
#1 Maybe when you're a mother you will understand.

So, if you haven't noticed, occasionally I still get a little angry. Part of the healing process, I say! And I am already feeling better.

Look for the book at a Barnes and Noble near you soon :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home